Media Contact Information
Marc Rotenberg, Executive Director
Administrative Director: Gerald Tan
Phone: 202.483.1140 x119
Electronic Privacy Information Center
1718 Connecticut Ave, N.W.
Washington, DC 20009
Overview of EPIC
- Founded in 1994.
- Non-profit 501(c)(3) organization based in Washington, D.C.
- EPIC focuses public attention on emerging privacy and civil liberties issues.
- Independent. EPIC receives no funding from private companies or government agencies (employer matches and attorneys' fees excepted).
- EPIC works to protect privacy, freedom of expression, democratic values, and to promote the Public Voice in decisions concerning the future of the Internet.
- EPIC pursues a wide range of program activities including public education, litigation, and advocacy.
- EPIC routinely files amicus briefs in federal courts, pursues open government cases, defends consumer privacy, organizes conferences for NGOs, and speaks before Congress and judicial organizations about emerging privacy and civil liberties issues.
- EPIC works closely with a distinguished advisory board, with expertise in law, technology and public policy.
- EPIC maintains several popular web sites - epic.org, privacy.org, foia.rocks, thepublicvoice.org, privacycoalition.org, indefenseoffreedom.org, and csisac.org.
- The EPIC Alert, a bi-weekly publication of the Electronic Privacy Information Center in Washington DC, covers issues related to privacy and civil liberties in the Information Age. Subscribe here.
EPIC and the Media
EPIC is widely cited in major news outlets, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Associated Press, Politico, Forbes, ABC News, Newsweek, National Public Radio, CNN, and MSNBC.
EPIC in the News (A listing of recent news stories citing the work of EPIC)
EPIC Staff Expertise
Marc Rotenberg, EPIC President (202.483.1140 x106) / @MarcRotenberg
The "Big Picture." How to understand recent privacy developments in a broader political and historical context. (Also teaches privacy and open government at Georgetown University Law Center).
Alan Butler, EPIC Senior Counsel (202.483.1140 x103)
EPIC’s Appellate Advocacy and amicus briefs, the law of electronic surveillance, Stingrays.
Caitriona Fitzgerald, EPIC Chief Technology Officer and Policy Director (617.945.8409)
Claire Gartland, EPIC Consumer Protection Counsel and Director, EPIC Consumer Privacy Project (202.483.1140 x124)
Eleni Kyriakides, EPIC Open Government Counsel (202.483.1140 x111)
FOIA cases, Open Government issues.
Jeramie Scott, EPIC National Security Counsel, Privacy Coalition Coordinator and Director, EPIC Domestic Surveillance Project (202.483.1140 x108)
Cybersecurity, computer security legislation, drones, surveillance techniques, NGO coalitions.
(All senior EPIC staff members are practicing attorneys, licensed in the District of Columbia and elsewhere)
Share this page:
EPIC relies on support from individual donors to pursue our work.
Subscribe to the EPIC Alert
The EPIC Alert is a biweekly newsletter highlighting emerging privacy issues.